librelist archives

« back to archive

updated netmap support for click available

updated netmap support for click available

From:
Luigi Rizzo
Date:
2014-04-14 @ 16:05
Hi,
i meant to send two months ago but forgot, so sorry for the delay.

https://code.google.com/p/netmap-click/

contains a clone of the click repo with support for the most
recent version of netmap, which you can find at

https://code.google.com/p/netmap/

The modifications add support for most recent features of netmap,
including VALE ports, netmap pipes, and access to individual queues.
They also simplify the code and remove some thread-unsafe code
that existed in the previous version.

Hope you'll find it useful and can merge it to the main repository.

Sorry again for the delay in this email and my apologies to those
who may have spent time doing the port.

cheers
luigi

Re: [click] updated netmap support for click available

From:
Eddie Kohler
Date:
2014-04-15 @ 17:25
I've imported the netmap-click master branch onto the main click
repository as branch `netmap`.


On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> i meant to send two months ago but forgot, so sorry for the delay.
>
> https://code.google.com/p/netmap-click/
>
> contains a clone of the click repo with support for the most
> recent version of netmap, which you can find at
>
> https://code.google.com/p/netmap/
>
> The modifications add support for most recent features of netmap,
> including VALE ports, netmap pipes, and access to individual queues.
> They also simplify the code and remove some thread-unsafe code
> that existed in the previous version.
>
> Hope you'll find it useful and can merge it to the main repository.
>
> Sorry again for the delay in this email and my apologies to those
> who may have spent time doing the port.
>
> cheers
> luigi

Re: [click] updated netmap support for click available

From:
Eddie Kohler
Date:
2014-04-15 @ 17:38
I pushed the netmap-click master branch to master, despite some
concerns about the code.

Luigi, please get rid of the netmap-click fork unless you want to maintain it.

Also, I am a little concerned about your use of “NetmapInfo”. When
multiple elements share a NetmapInfo, htey're going to have different
NetmapBufQs, which is maybe not what we want.


On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Eddie Kohler <ekohler@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've imported the netmap-click master branch onto the main click
> repository as branch `netmap`.
>
>
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> i meant to send two months ago but forgot, so sorry for the delay.
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/netmap-click/
>>
>> contains a clone of the click repo with support for the most
>> recent version of netmap, which you can find at
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/netmap/
>>
>> The modifications add support for most recent features of netmap,
>> including VALE ports, netmap pipes, and access to individual queues.
>> They also simplify the code and remove some thread-unsafe code
>> that existed in the previous version.
>>
>> Hope you'll find it useful and can merge it to the main repository.
>>
>> Sorry again for the delay in this email and my apologies to those
>> who may have spent time doing the port.
>>
>> cheers
>> luigi

Re: [click] updated netmap support for click available

From:
Luigi Rizzo
Date:
2014-04-16 @ 06:33
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 01:38:10PM -0400, Eddie Kohler wrote:
> I pushed the netmap-click master branch to master, despite some
> concerns about the code.
> 
> Luigi, please get rid of the netmap-click fork unless you want to maintain it.

i added a comment pointing back to the main repo and discouraging
people from using mine.

> Also, I am a little concerned about your use of ???NetmapInfo???. When
> multiple elements share a NetmapInfo, htey're going to have different
> NetmapBufQs, which is maybe not what we want.

At the moment the NetmapBufQs are not used and incomplete,
so i need to revise that code anyways.

I guess by "share" you mean a ToDevice that inherits the descriptor
from the FromDevice ?

In any case the plan is the following:

netmap buffers come from different memory pools whose identity
is part of the NetmapInfo. netmap "ports" (file descriptor) are bound
to one pool, and ports using the same pool can do zerocopy.

So ultimately i want to implement, for each pool, one global
NetmapBufQ and one per-thread NetmapBufQ similar to the PacketPool
that you have.

Makes sense ?

cheers
luigi

> 
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Eddie Kohler <ekohler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've imported the netmap-click master branch onto the main click
> > repository as branch `netmap`.
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> i meant to send two months ago but forgot, so sorry for the delay.
> >>
> >> https://code.google.com/p/netmap-click/
> >>
> >> contains a clone of the click repo with support for the most
> >> recent version of netmap, which you can find at
> >>
> >> https://code.google.com/p/netmap/
> >>
> >> The modifications add support for most recent features of netmap,
> >> including VALE ports, netmap pipes, and access to individual queues.
> >> They also simplify the code and remove some thread-unsafe code
> >> that existed in the previous version.
> >>
> >> Hope you'll find it useful and can merge it to the main repository.
> >>
> >> Sorry again for the delay in this email and my apologies to those
> >> who may have spent time doing the port.
> >>
> >> cheers
> >> luigi