All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Zed A. Shaw
2009-12-29 @ 17:29
Alright,

The javascript blocker that tries to make you listen to the whole thing
is removed, and I brought back the << >> buttons so you can skip ones
people submitted already.

What I'll probably do is track down why the blocker wasn't firing, and
then instead of blocking, I'll just use that as a hidden form submit
field that says how much of the submission you listened to.  That could
be an interesting side stat to collect to see if people make snap
judgements.

Anyway, sorry guys!

Zed A. Shaw

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Doug Sparling
2009-12-29 @ 23:55
Hey all,

I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been watching
the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email became the
text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the settings, though
I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.

Thanks,
d

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:

> Alright,
> The javascript blocker that tries to make you listen to the whole thing
> is removed, and I brought back the << >> buttons so you can skip ones
> people submitted already.
> What I'll probably do is track down why the blocker wasn't firing, and
> then instead of blocking, I'll just use that as a hidden form submit
> field that says how much of the submission you listened to.  That could
> be an interesting side stat to collect to see if people make snap
> judgements.
> Anyway, sorry guys!
> Zed A. Shaw
> http://zedshaw.com/

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Zed A. Shaw
2009-12-30 @ 00:06
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:55:28PM -0600, Doug Sparling wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been watching
> the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email became the
> text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
> through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the settings, though
> I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.

Yeah I saw that, can you send me an email directly (zedshaw@zedshaw.com)
from the same account?  I'll take a look.

Zed A. Shaw

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Chad Woolley
2009-12-30 @ 00:07
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Doug Sparling <doug.sparling@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been watching
> the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email became the
> text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
> through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the settings, though
> I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.

Do you have HTML/Rich Formatting turned on?  I don't, and gmail works
fine for me.  Do you handle HTML, Zed?

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Zed A. Shaw
2009-12-30 @ 00:12
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:07:13PM -0700, Chad Woolley wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Doug Sparling <doug.sparling@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been watching
> > the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email became the
> > text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
> > through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the settings, though
> > I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.
> Do you have HTML/Rich Formatting turned on?  I don't, and gmail works
> fine for me.  Do you handle HTML, Zed?

No, it can't handle only HTML.  It works if the email is a proper
HTML+text email, but if its HTML alone then I ignore it.

I got a buddy who's written a bad ass HTML email to text email
converter, I should probably steal it from him.

Zed A. Shaw

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Doug Sparling
2009-12-30 @ 00:15
Use default text encoding for outgoing messagesUse Unicode (UTF-8) encoding
for outgoing messages

Seems to be my only two choices...it did work last time.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:07:13PM -0700, Chad Woolley wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Doug Sparling <doug.sparling@gmail.com>
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been
> watching
> > > the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email
> became the
> > > text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
> > > through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the settings,
> though
> > > I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.
> > Do you have HTML/Rich Formatting turned on?  I don't, and gmail works
> > fine for me.  Do you handle HTML, Zed?
> No, it can't handle only HTML.  It works if the email is a proper
> HTML+text email, but if its HTML alone then I ignore it.
> I got a buddy who's written a bad ass HTML email to text email
> converter, I should probably steal it from him.
> Zed A. Shaw
> http://zedshaw.com/

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Hank Marquardt
2009-12-30 @ 00:25
Right in the "compose message" window above where you type, there is a link
switch that changes text / html (which they call "rich formatting")

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Doug Sparling <doug.sparling@gmail.com>wrote:

> Use default text encoding for outgoing messages Use Unicode (UTF-8)
> encoding for outgoing messages
> Seems to be my only two choices...it did work last time.
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:07:13PM -0700, Chad Woolley wrote:
>> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Doug Sparling <doug.sparling@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > > Hey all,
>> > >
>> > > I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been
>> watching
>> > > the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email
>> became the
>> > > text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
>> > > through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the settings,
>> though
>> > > I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.
>> >
>> > Do you have HTML/Rich Formatting turned on?  I don't, and gmail works
>> > fine for me.  Do you handle HTML, Zed?
>> No, it can't handle only HTML.  It works if the email is a proper
>> HTML+text email, but if its HTML alone then I ignore it.
>> I got a buddy who's written a bad ass HTML email to text email
>> converter, I should probably steal it from him.
>> --
>> Zed A. Shaw
>> http://zedshaw.com/

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Doug Sparling
2009-12-30 @ 00:29
D'oh...you think I'd never used gmail before...jeez. Sorry about that.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Hank Marquardt <hmarquardt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right in the "compose message" window above where you type, there is a
link switch that changes text / html (which they call "rich formatting")
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Doug Sparling <doug.sparling@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Use default text encoding for outgoing messages
>> Use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing messages
>> Seems to be my only two choices...it did work last time.
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:07:13PM -0700, Chad Woolley wrote:
>>> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Doug Sparling
<doug.sparling@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> > > Hey all,
>>> > >
>>> > > I've been out of town and out of sorts for a while, I've only been
watching
>>> > > the list on occasion. Last time I submitted, the body of my email
became the
>>> > > text of the details for my submission. This time it didn't seem to go
>>> > > through. I use gmail, so I'm guessing I need to adjust the
settings, though
>>> > > I don't believe I've changed anything since last time.
>>> >
>>> > Do you have HTML/Rich Formatting turned on?  I don't, and gmail works
>>> > fine for me.  Do you handle HTML, Zed?
>>> No, it can't handle only HTML.  It works if the email is a proper
>>> HTML+text email, but if its HTML alone then I ignore it.
>>> I got a buddy who's written a bad ass HTML email to text email
>>> converter, I should probably steal it from him.
>>> --
>>> Zed A. Shaw
>>> http://zedshaw.com/

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Zed A. Shaw
2009-12-30 @ 00:30
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:29:49PM -0600, Doug Sparling wrote:
> D'oh...you think I'd never used gmail before...jeez. Sorry about that.

No I had the same problem, it's in a weirdo place.

Zed A. Shaw

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Zed A. Shaw
2009-12-30 @ 00:30
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:15:58PM -0600, Doug Sparling wrote:
> Use default text encoding for outgoing messagesUse Unicode (UTF-8) encoding
> for outgoing messages
> Seems to be my only two choices...it did work last time.

Ah, so looking at these emails I see:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
     boundary="===============1577549277178634666=="

In the headers and then a text and HTML part.  It looks like the
receiver isn't taking out the text part when this mime type is used.

I'll fix that up, until then just go in and disable rich text formatting
like Hank said.

Zed A. Shaw

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Hank Marquardt
2009-12-30 @ 00:31
I couldn't find it either ... I had to google it! ... felt like an
idiot then with it staring in my face on every page.   Glad I wasn't
the only one.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:15:58PM -0600, Doug Sparling wrote:
>> Use default text encoding for outgoing messagesUse Unicode (UTF-8) encoding
>> for outgoing messages
>> Seems to be my only two choices...it did work last time.
> Ah, so looking at these emails I see:
> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>     boundary="===============1577549277178634666=="
> In the headers and then a text and HTML part.  It looks like the
> receiver isn't taking out the text part when this mime type is used.
> I'll fix that up, until then just go in and disable rich text formatting
> like Hank said.
> Zed A. Shaw
> http://zedshaw.com/

Re: [fretwar] All Fixed Up, Sorry 'bout That

Doug Sparling
2009-12-30 @ 00:41
Man, thanks...I'm not feeling quite so stupid now :)

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Hank Marquardt <hmarquardt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I couldn't find it either ... I had to google it! ... felt like an
> idiot then with it staring in my face on every page.   Glad I wasn't
> the only one.
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Zed A. Shaw <zedshaw@zedshaw.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:15:58PM -0600, Doug Sparling wrote:
>>> Use default text encoding for outgoing messagesUse Unicode (UTF-8) encoding
>>> for outgoing messages
>>> Seems to be my only two choices...it did work last time.
>> Ah, so looking at these emails I see:
>> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>>     boundary="===============1577549277178634666=="
>> In the headers and then a text and HTML part.  It looks like the
>> receiver isn't taking out the text part when this mime type is used.
>> I'll fix that up, until then just go in and disable rich text formatting
>> like Hank said.