Re: [Cython] Releasing Nuitka 0.1

Re: [Cython] Releasing Nuitka 0.1

Burak Arslan
2010-08-23 @ 10:16
kay,

great work, i can collaborate with you on this.

to do that effectively, i've re-packaged nuitka to be setuptools
compatible and created a github repo out of it. i've also created a
maling list for nuitka at librelist (cc'd)

the git repo is here: http://github.com/plq/nuitka

note that i removed the following notice from file headers:

#     If you submit patches to this software in either form, you
automatically
#     grant me a copyright assignment to the code, or in the alternative
#     license to the code, should your jurisdiction prevent this. This is to
#     reserve my ability to re-license the code at any time.

because i refuse to grant copyright of my code to whoever that "me"
person is.

best regards,
burak

On 08/19/10 08:02, Kay Hayen wrote:
> Hello,
> Obviously this is very exciting step for me. I am releasing Nuitka
> today. Finally. For a long time I knew I would, but actually doing it,
> is a different beast. Reaching my goals for release turned out to be
> less far away than I hope, so instead of end of August, I can already
> release it now.
> Currently it’s not more than 4% faster than CPython. No surprise there,
> if all you did, is removing the bytecode interpretation so far. It’s not
> impressive at all. It’s not even a reason to use it. But it’s also only
> a start. Clearly, once I get into optimizing the code generation of
> Nuitka, it will only get better, and then probably in sometimes dramatic
> steps. But I see this as a long term goal.
> http://kayhayen24x7.homelinux.org/blog/2010/08/releasing-nuitka-to-the-world/
> I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did enjoy writing it. I will
> appreciate your feedback. My ability to respond will be limited due to
> my day job which keeps me busy, but I will try.
> If some minor things come up, there likely will be a 0.1.1 at the end of
> August. After that I am moving to a new house and you know how time
> consuming that can be.
> Yours,
> Kay Hayen
> PS: I'm hosting my blog and the home NAS machine, which should run 24x7,
> so don't be surprised if its slow or temporarily unavailable.
> _______________________________________________
> Cython-dev mailing list
> Cython-dev@codespeak.net
> http://codespeak.net/mailman/listinfo/cython-dev

Re: [Cython] Releasing Nuitka 0.1

Burak Arslan
2010-08-23 @ 10:35
 On 08/23/10 13:16, Burak Arslan wrote:
> kay,
> great work, i can collaborate with you on this.
> to do that effectively, i've re-packaged nuitka to be setuptools
> compatible and created a github repo out of it. i've also created a
> maling list for nuitka at librelist (cc'd)
> the git repo is here: http://github.com/plq/nuitka
> note that i removed the following notice from file headers:
> #     If you submit patches to this software in either form, you
> automatically
> #     grant me a copyright assignment to the code, or in the alternative
> #     license to the code, should your jurisdiction prevent this. This is to
> #     reserve my ability to re-license the code at any time.
> because i refuse to grant copyright of my code to whoever that "me"
> person is.
> best regards,
> burak

a few more points:

please read this: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
i'd like to reformat the code according to pep8 before it's too late.

tl;dr: CamelCase only in class-like objects, names_with_underscores in
everything else, 80-col line breaks.

python doesn't need accessors as it has properties. getting rid of them
will save some boilerplate.

class Example(object):
    def __init__(self):
        self.__prop = None

def get_prop(self):
        return self.__prop

def set_prop(self, val):
        self.__prop = val

prop = property(get_prop, set_prop)

e=Example()
print e.prop # calls get_prop
e.prop = 'punk' # calls set_prop

the code is much cleaner this way, don't you think?

see here for more info:

best,
burak

> On 08/19/10 08:02, Kay Hayen wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Obviously this is very exciting step for me. I am releasing Nuitka
>> today. Finally. For a long time I knew I would, but actually doing it,
>> is a different beast. Reaching my goals for release turned out to be
>> less far away than I hope, so instead of end of August, I can already
>> release it now.
>> Currently it’s not more than 4% faster than CPython. No surprise there,
>> if all you did, is removing the bytecode interpretation so far. It’s not
>> impressive at all. It’s not even a reason to use it. But it’s also only
>> a start. Clearly, once I get into optimizing the code generation of
>> Nuitka, it will only get better, and then probably in sometimes dramatic
>> steps. But I see this as a long term goal.
>> I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did enjoy writing it. I will
>> appreciate your feedback. My ability to respond will be limited due to
>> my day job which keeps me busy, but I will try.
>> If some minor things come up, there likely will be a 0.1.1 at the end of
>> August. After that I am moving to a new house and you know how time
>> consuming that can be.
>> Yours,
>> Kay Hayen
>> PS: I'm hosting my blog and the home NAS machine, which should run 24x7,
>> so don't be surprised if its slow or temporarily unavailable.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cython-dev mailing list
>> Cython-dev@codespeak.net
>> http://codespeak.net/mailman/listinfo/cython-dev

Re: [Cython] Releasing Nuitka 0.1

Burak Arslan
2010-08-23 @ 10:38
 On 08/23/10 13:35, Burak Arslan wrote:
>  On 08/23/10 13:16, Burak Arslan wrote:
>> kay,
>> great work, i can collaborate with you on this.
>> to do that effectively, i've re-packaged nuitka to be setuptools
>> compatible and created a github repo out of it. i've also created a
>> maling list for nuitka at librelist (cc'd)
>> the git repo is here: http://github.com/plq/nuitka
>> note that i removed the following notice from file headers:
>> #     If you submit patches to this software in either form, you
>> automatically
>> #     grant me a copyright assignment to the code, or in the alternative
>> #     license to the code, should your jurisdiction prevent this. This is to
>> #     reserve my ability to re-license the code at any time.
>> because i refuse to grant copyright of my code to whoever that "me"
>> person is.
>> best regards,
>> burak
> a few more points:
> 1)
> please read this: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
> i'd like to reformat the code according to pep8 before it's too late.
> tl;dr: CamelCase only in class-like objects, names_with_underscores in
> everything else, 80-col line breaks.
> 2)
> python doesn't need accessors as it has properties. getting rid of them
> will save some boilerplate.
> class Example(object):
>     def __init__(self):
>         self.__prop = None
>     def get_prop(self):
>         return self.__prop
>     def set_prop(self, val):
>         self.__prop = val
>     prop = property(get_prop, set_prop)
> e=Example()
> print e.prop # calls get_prop
> e.prop = 'punk' # calls set_prop
> the code is much cleaner this way, don't you think?
> see here for more info:
> http://adam.gomaa.us/blog/2008/aug/11/the-python-property-builtin/

you're making good use of multiple inheritance.

using new style classes is easier because it has a better multiple
inheritance implementation.

so always inherit from object when defining new classes.

> best,
> burak
>> On 08/19/10 08:02, Kay Hayen wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Obviously this is very exciting step for me. I am releasing Nuitka
>>> today. Finally. For a long time I knew I would, but actually doing it,
>>> is a different beast. Reaching my goals for release turned out to be
>>> less far away than I hope, so instead of end of August, I can already
>>> release it now.
>>> Currently it’s not more than 4% faster than CPython. No surprise there,
>>> if all you did, is removing the bytecode interpretation so far. It’s not
>>> impressive at all. It’s not even a reason to use it. But it’s also only
>>> a start. Clearly, once I get into optimizing the code generation of
>>> Nuitka, it will only get better, and then probably in sometimes dramatic
>>> steps. But I see this as a long term goal.
>>> http://kayhayen24x7.homelinux.org/blog/2010/08/releasing-nuitka-to-the-world/
>>> I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did enjoy writing it. I will
>>> appreciate your feedback. My ability to respond will be limited due to
>>> my day job which keeps me busy, but I will try.
>>> If some minor things come up, there likely will be a 0.1.1 at the end of
>>> August. After that I am moving to a new house and you know how time
>>> consuming that can be.
>>> Yours,
>>> Kay Hayen
>>> PS: I'm hosting my blog and the home NAS machine, which should run 24x7,
>>> so don't be surprised if its slow or temporarily unavailable.
>>> _______________________________________________