Linux Habba Planning

Linux Habba Planning

2011-04-02 @ 15:33
Hi all,

Few questions when is Linux Habba is going to be arranged? Is it 9th?
If so what are the plans? Is it like hands on session which we had
previously? If there is large crowd it will be difficult to manage. If
its not it will definitely bore students. So lets have a proper plan
on the sheet before we jump into the event. I don't want last minute
traps like we had in previous session because of improper planning and
lack of communication. Now we have a list I would like prompt replies
from each of the list member for this mail

So lets discuss

Thanks and Regards

ashok kumar
2011-04-03 @ 05:19
@all
i'll update the no of students by tuesday.
As of now expect 50 students.
shall we go for a demo of Installation?
we have to conduct competitions-which and how to conduct?

ashok
Ashokkumar A
cell;09341036247

Chethan S
2011-04-05 @ 00:35
Hi everyone!

My suggestions for the session are mainly based on Ashok Sir's suggestions. I
would suggest the following sequence:

1. Let's begin with Installation after Inauguration. If the number of PCs are
limited we could go for a lucky draw or conduct competitions first and the
winners be given the chance of hands-on-installation while others will have to
watch it on-screen. Time: 10.30(or so) - 11.30 hrs.

2. Familiarization with big time open source projects - ongoing Chamba project,
completed projects, how corporates use Open Source (a thorough introduction on
why and how they use might impress students - students might have a wrong
impression that when it comes to industry its only proprietary technologies. So
they may feel what's the use in learning/using FOSS.)We can show videos during
this session itself. Time: 11.30 - 12.30 hrs.

3. Competitions: Essay writing, drawing, cartooning, short presentation made
using Impress for not more than 5 minutes, typing speed test. We may have to ask
students to participate in competitions best for them, otherwise all
competitions for everyone may not be feasible due to time constraints and
interests of students.  Time: 13.30 - 16.00 hrs.
	4. Closing Ceremony with distribution of prizes.

In between these sessions we can ask them thought-provoking questions. Regarding
prizes it could be CD/DVDs as Vasudev suggested.

Thanks and regards,

Chethan S.

ashok kumar
2011-04-05 @ 00:42
Chethan,

good suggestions.
i think any distro installation is ok.
let us get some other prizes also
regards,
ashok
------------------------------------------------

Chethan S
2011-04-05 @ 00:52
Hi everyone!

Any distro installation must be ok!

I have no idea about the budget for prizes and the feasibility of getting some
of them ready. However here are some suggestions for prizes:

1. T-shirts with Tux logo
	2. 2 GB flash drives - may cost Rs. 250/- each or even less

3. Caps preferably with Tux logo
	4. Pens - branded ones
Thanks and regards,

Chethan S.

________________________________
From: ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com>
To: scg.nmamit@librelist.com
Sent: Tue, 5 April, 2011 6:12:21 AM
Subject: Re: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

Chethan,

good suggestions.
i think any distro installation is ok.
let us get some other prizes also
regards,
ashok
------------------------------------------------

2011-04-05 @ 03:06
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Any distro installation must be ok!
As I told in above mail decide a distro!
> I have no idea about the budget for prizes and the feasibility of getting
> some of them ready. However here are some suggestions for prizes:
> T-shirts with Tux logo
No time to get these things ready volunteers are having exams and they
are not at all replying to the mails (5 minutes job) here so I don't
think they will prepare any t-shirt.
> 2 GB flash drives - may cost Rs. 250/- each or even less
This should be decided by Ashok sir. SCG is a volunteer organization
and we don't have any funding :)
> Caps preferably with Tux logo
Same goes here
> Pens - branded ones
And here too
> Thanks and regards,
> Chethan S.
> ________________________________
> From: ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com>
> To: scg.nmamit@librelist.com
> Sent: Tue, 5 April, 2011 6:12:21 AM
> Subject: Re: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning
> Chethan,
> good suggestions.
> i think any distro installation is ok.
> let us get some other prizes also
> regards,
> ashok
> ------------------------------------------------

2011-04-05 @ 03:04
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:12 AM, ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chethan,
> good suggestions.
> i think any distro installation is ok.
Better decide a Distro and prepare on that no final minute deviations
are allowed for any reason. I don't want Edubuntu Mandriva panic
happen this time. Please suggest and decide a single distro and
volunteers get prepared for that

Regards

> let us get some other prizes also
> regards,
> ashok
> ------------------------------------------------

2011-04-05 @ 03:02
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> My suggestions for the session are mainly based on Ashok Sir's suggestions.
> I would suggest the following sequence:
> Let's begin with Installation after Inauguration. If the number of PCs are
> limited we could go for a lucky draw or conduct competitions first and the
> winners be given the chance of hands-on-installation while others will have
> to watch it on-screen. Time: 10.30(or so) - 11.30 hrs.
Lets hope we don't have to do this :) I don't like preventing people
from having hands on just because they lost in quiz even though they
are interested to have hands on. so if the condition arises we will
make 2 people sit on one computer

> Familiarization with big time open source projects - ongoing Chamba project,
> completed projects, how corporates use Open Source (a thorough introduction
> on why and how they use might impress students - students might have a wrong
> impression that when it comes to industry its only proprietary technologies.
Ok with me. But question is who is gonna take this part? Please volunteer
> So they may feel what's the use in learning/using FOSS.) We can show videos
> during this session itself. Time: 11.30 - 12.30 hrs.
Praveen has already given link for videos in this thread some one
please have a look at those videos. Preferably chethan and choose some
good videos.
> Competitions: Essay writing, drawing, cartooning, short presentation made
> using Impress for not more than 5 minutes, typing speed test. We may have to
> ask students to participate in competitions best for them, otherwise all
> competitions for everyone may not be feasible due to time constraints and
> interests of students. Time: 13.30 - 16.00 hrs.
This should be last session I don't want cutting down required session
because of this.
> Closing Ceremony with distribution of prizes.
Lets make it a casual function I don't like too many formal functions.
> In between these sessions we can ask them thought-provoking questions.
Prepare some good questions I've some in my mind which I'll share with
you guys during IRC session
> Regarding prizes it could be CD/DVDs as Vasudev suggested.
> Thanks and regards,
> Chethan S.

ashok kumar
2011-04-05 @ 03:59
hi,
the number of students may be less, as we have kept it open for the
interested only..
so hands on may be given to everyone.
 it'll probably with no formalities- let me talk to Princi and decide.
ashok

2011-04-03 @ 06:29
The number is fine with me 50 can be accommodated in a lab.

Few things to be made clear before the session
1. What and all things will be told in the session (make a bullet list)
2. No unplanned event will be done during session just because we want
to show something (like rebooting into Mandriva and showing them
kernel panic screen instead I really don't want such things to happen
this time)
3. Each of the volunteers should be thorough with Distribution which
will be used. (I don't want some one telling me localization iBus
support is present and when I go for the session I find there is no
indic packages installed. I know I should have tested but I'm not a
ubuntu user and I don't have time to get it installed on virtual
machine so I had to believe our ubuntu and edubuntu users(volunteers)

So keeping all these points in mind lets put up an agenda for the
program and we will stick to the agenda without any deviation. If we
need more time for preparation lets take some more time may be next
week (not 9th) we can have the session, reason being every one is
having internals and no one will be available till Friday and one day
preparation will not help us.

I'm open for feedback and suggestions

Regarding having some competition is good idea. I'm open for suggestion

@Praveen any videos which can be showed to high school students to get
them motivated?

Regards

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM, ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com> wrote:
> @all
> i'll update the no of students by tuesday.
> As of now expect 50 students.
> shall we go for a demo of Installation?
> we have to conduct competitions-which and how to conduct?
> ashok
> Ashokkumar A
> cell;09341036247

ashok kumar
2011-04-03 @ 06:34
@Vasudev,
first put up your plan; let others commnet; otherwise nothing moves.
I have put up my idea already..
regards,
ashok

ashok kumar
2011-04-03 @ 06:38
This is what i had put up:
*Nitte Englishmedium will send 48 students, Bhuvanendra and Bhuvanendra
Residential school  may give their numbers on Monday.
* Someone please Design a banner.
*Is there any Worldcup match on April 2?   :)
*Competitions on that day- typing,drawing (linux tools),essay writing using
computer
*Competitions- experince on Linux, cartoon on Linux
*we may need few judges to quickly give results.
*Come with more suggestions
*Are there any Linux related prizes to give it to winners
ashok

On 3 April 2011 12:04, ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Vasudev,
> first put up your plan; let others commnet; otherwise nothing moves.
> I have put up my idea already..
> regards,
> ashok

ashok
Ashokkumar A
cell;09341036247

2011-04-03 @ 06:51
Ok I had missed this idea list thanks for posting it again sir.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:08 PM, ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what i had put up:
> *Nitte Englishmedium will send 48 students, Bhuvanendra and Bhuvanendra
> Residential school  may give their numbers on Monday.
> * Someone please Design a banner.
Ranjan is a good designer. But try to use foss tools for banner

> *Is there any Worldcup match on April 2?   :)
This is any way ruled out.
> *Competitions on that day- typing,drawing (linux tools),essay writing using
> computer
> *Competitions- experince on Linux, cartoon on Linux
As I said I'm open to suggestions May be praveen can help us with some
ideas. Praveen any suggestions?
> *we may need few judges to quickly give results.
Volunteers please volunteer for positions of judge :D

> *Come with more suggestions
> *Are there any Linux related prizes to give it to winners
Yes Bhushan and Abhishek who attended conf.kde have got more than 100
DVD's of Open SUSE 11.3 (bit old current version is 11.4) and Kubuntu
which can be given out.

> ashok
> On 3 April 2011 12:04, ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Vasudev,
>> first put up your plan; let others commnet; otherwise nothing moves.
>> I have put up my idea already..
I'll take up the installation sir. Rest is upto volunteers to decide
on which programs can be conducted

>> regards,
>> ashok
> ashok
> Ashokkumar A
> cell;09341036247

Thanks and Regards

Praveen A
2011-04-03 @ 07:09
2011/4/3 Vasudev Kamath <kamathvasudev@gmail.com>:
> I'm open for feedback and suggestions
> Regarding having some competition is good idea. I'm open for suggestion

Ask questions that make them think, like last time you did. Ask
questions about sharing, copying, piracy etc.

> @Praveen any videos which can be showed to high school students to get
> them motivated?

I suggest showing them blinken lights videos

Its really awesome!
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your
rights from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as
they follow the rules: laws and constitution.

Praveen A
2011-04-03 @ 07:10
2011/4/3 Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com>:
> I suggest showing them blinken lights videos
> http://blinkenlights.net/project/videos

Also show them Sintel or Big Bunny and talk about Free Culture and may
be tell them we are doing chamba.

പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your
rights from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as
they follow the rules: laws and constitution.

ashok kumar
2011-04-04 @ 15:55
@chetan
please add your thoughts..
ashok

Chethan S
2011-04-05 @ 05:57
Hi everyone!

1. Regarding which Linux distribution to use, I will always vote for Ubuntu.
	2. I can give a presentation on how corporates use FOSS as a whole  since I am
interested in showcasing Linux. I expect lot of white papers  on how
corporations and governments use Linux. I don't have much  information on
projects like Chamba, Sintel etc. So if anyone could name  a few I will collect
necessary information.

3. For selecting videos to be shown I request someone to volunteer!
Thanks and regards,

Chethan S.

2011-04-05 @ 06:14
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Regarding which Linux distribution to use, I will always vote for Ubuntu.

Now Ubuntu? Last session it was Edubuntu previously it was SchoolOS I
suggest you make up your mind and stick to one. Better prepared for a
distro whichever it is. I'm not a user of any buntu's so I trust what
you people say I'm repeating it again go through each and every
application I don't want to get into trap like last time when iBus
didn't had indic related input methods. So whatever you choose prepare
well I'm only gonna take installation and for me any distro is fine
for that matter.
Just a thought why don't we choose Mint unlike any of buntu's it has
got all multimedia things packaged which is the first question asked
by the users. Can we play music etc etc.

> I can give a presentation on how corporates use FOSS as a whole since I am
> interested in showcasing Linux. I expect lot of white papers on how
> corporations and governments use Linux. I don't have much information on
> projects like Chamba, Sintel etc. So if anyone could name a few I will

Chamba and Sintel are not corporate backed projects they are community
projects any way here are the links
www.chambaproject.in
www.sintel.org

> collect necessary information.

I would say no to presentations give real world scenarios and show
videos and make people think (at least they won't sleep in this case
or get bored)

> For selecting videos to be shown I request someone to volunteer!
I'm on slow internet connection and I can't watch any online video's
nor download them I would suggest other members of SCG to try out.
> Thanks and regards,
> Chethan S.

Regards

Chethan S
2011-04-05 @ 06:30
Distribution suggestion: I actually meant Ubuntu for a general cause. Let's
stick to Edubuntu itself. What do others feel? Regarding Mint are there any Mint
users in SCG?

>> I can give a presentation on how corporates use FOSS as a whole since I am
>> interested in showcasing Linux. I expect lot of white papers on how
>> corporations and governments use Linux. I don't have much information on
>> projects like Chamba, Sintel etc. So if anyone could name a few I will
>>>Chamba and Sintel are not corporate backed projects they are community
>>>projects any way here are the links

I never said they are corporate backed projects. I just wanted everyone to know
how corporations like Google, FB use FOSS. Unless we show a presentation we
won't be able to get the message across the audience. We should try to make the
presentation as interactive as possible. That is what I feel.

Thanks and regards,

Chethan S.

________________________________
From: Vasudev Kamath <kamathvasudev@gmail.com>
To: scg.nmamit@librelist.com
Sent: Tue, 5 April, 2011 11:44:24 AM
Subject: Re: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Regarding which Linux distribution to use, I will always vote for Ubuntu.

Now Ubuntu? Last session it was Edubuntu previously it was SchoolOS I
suggest you make up your mind and stick to one. Better prepared for a
distro whichever it is. I'm not a user of any buntu's so I trust what
you people say I'm repeating it again go through each and every
application I don't want to get into trap like last time when iBus
didn't had indic related input methods. So whatever you choose prepare
well I'm only gonna take installation and for me any distro is fine
for that matter.
Just a thought why don't we choose Mint unlike any of buntu's it has
got all multimedia things packaged which is the first question asked
by the users. Can we play music etc etc.

> I can give a presentation on how corporates use FOSS as a whole since I am
> interested in showcasing Linux. I expect lot of white papers on how
> corporations and governments use Linux. I don't have much information on
> projects like Chamba, Sintel etc. So if anyone could name a few I will

Chamba and Sintel are not corporate backed projects they are community
projects any way here are the links
www.chambaproject.in
www.sintel.org

> collect necessary information.

I would say no to presentations give real world scenarios and show
videos and make people think (at least they won't sleep in this case
or get bored)

> For selecting videos to be shown I request someone to volunteer!
I'm on slow internet connection and I can't watch any online video's
nor download them I would suggest other members of SCG to try out.
> Thanks and regards,
> Chethan S.

Regards

2011-04-05 @ 06:41
First of all I request you to stop using rich text mail. Its hard for
me to reply as I'm replying in plain text and all your rich text
formatting is removed and compose area becomes a mess. I think Praveen
has given enough insight on why not to use html mails in mailing list.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
> Distribution suggestion: I actually meant Ubuntu for a general cause. Let's
> stick to Edubuntu itself. What do others feel? Regarding Mint are there any
> Mint users in SCG?
Mint has 2 version one is baed on Ubuntu and one more on Debian (LMDE)
as a Debian user I will be comfortable with LMDE.

>>> I can give a presentation on how corporates use FOSS as a whole since I
>>> am
>>> interested in showcasing Linux. I expect lot of white papers on how
>>> corporations and governments use Linux. I don't have much information on
>>> projects like Chamba, Sintel etc. So if anyone could name a few I will
>>>>Chamba and Sintel are not corporate backed projects they are community
>>>>projects any way here are the links
> I never said they are corporate backed projects. I just wanted everyone to
> know how corporations like Google, FB use FOSS. Unless we show a
> presentation we won't be able to get the message across the audience. We
> should try to make the presentation as interactive as possible. That is what
> I feel.

3. Don't write too many things in slide which makes user read slides
instead of listening
4. Keep in mind slides are only for your guidance you will be the
presenter of idea and not what is in slides

@Praveen you have introduced the FOSS to college in Pune using some
videos and telling Facebook related stuffs right? Can you please give
some tips to Chethan on how to do it.
> Thanks and regards,
> Chethan S.
> ________________________________
> From: Vasudev Kamath <kamathvasudev@gmail.com>
> To: scg.nmamit@librelist.com
> Sent: Tue, 5 April, 2011 11:44:24 AM
> Subject: Re: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>> Regarding which Linux distribution to use, I will always vote for Ubuntu.
> Now Ubuntu? Last session it was Edubuntu previously it was SchoolOS I
> suggest you make up your mind and stick to one. Better prepared for a
> distro whichever it is. I'm not a user of any buntu's so I trust what
> you people say I'm repeating it again go through each and every
> application I don't want to get into trap like last time when iBus
> didn't had indic related input methods. So whatever you choose prepare
> well I'm only gonna take installation and for me any distro is fine
> for that matter.
> Just a thought why don't we choose Mint unlike any of buntu's it has
> got all multimedia things packaged which is the first question asked
> by the users. Can we play music etc etc.
>> I can give a presentation on how corporates use FOSS as a whole since I am
>> interested in showcasing Linux. I expect lot of white papers on how
>> corporations and governments use Linux. I don't have much information on
>> projects like Chamba, Sintel etc. So if anyone could name a few I will
> Chamba and Sintel are not corporate backed projects they are community
> projects any way here are the links
> www.chambaproject.in
> www.sintel.org
>> collect necessary information.
> I would say no to presentations give real world scenarios and show
> videos and make people think (at least they won't sleep in this case
> or get bored)
>> For selecting videos to be shown I request someone to volunteer!
> I'm on slow internet connection and I can't watch any online video's
> nor download them I would suggest other members of SCG to try out.
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Chethan S.
> Regards
> Vasudev Kamath
> http://vasudevkamath.blogspot.com
> http://identi.ca/vasudev
> http://twitter.com/vasudevkamath

Fw: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

Chethan S
2011-04-05 @ 06:57
Mint has 2 version one is baed on Ubuntu and one more on Debian (LMDE)

as a Debian user I will be comfortable with LMDE.

Then I suggest you go ahead with LMDE version of Mint.

For that we don't need Presentations. Even presentations are there
don't make it like one you did for SchoolOS it had too much text make
it simple just one or 2 images and talk yourself. Frankly that
SchoolOS presentation was boring and I think most part of it went over
the head of students (not blaming you just telling what I felt). Some
points I want to add here is

1. Don't add too technical stuffs
2. Don't try to compare MS and Linux (Linux can survive without being
compared to MS products)
3. Don't write too many things in slide which makes  user read slides
instead of listening
4. Keep in mind slides are only for your guidance you will be the
presenter of idea and not what is in slides

We can even leave the presentation if everyone is not convenient with the idea.

@Praveen you have introduced the FOSS to college in Pune using some
videos and telling Facebook related stuffs right? Can you please give
some tips to Chethan on how to do it.

@Praveen this is the link to my previous presentation in the programme  held for
teachers, part 2 was taken up by me

Re: Fw: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

2011-04-05 @ 07:03
Thanks for promptly using plan text mail.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in> wrote:
> Mint has 2 version one is baed on Ubuntu and one more on Debian (LMDE)
> as a Debian user I will be comfortable with LMDE.
> Then I suggest you go ahead with LMDE version of Mint.

As I told I don't have enough time to get it downloaded and test drive
it. We can adapt it from our future sessions for now whatever we have
used till now lets stick with it.

> For that we don't need Presentations. Even presentations are there
> don't make it like one you did for SchoolOS it had too much text make
> it simple just one or 2 images and talk yourself. Frankly that
> SchoolOS presentation was boring and I think most part of it went over
> the head of students (not blaming you just telling what I felt). Some
> points I want to add here is
> 1. Don't add too technical stuffs
> 2. Don't try to compare MS and Linux (Linux can survive without being
> compared to MS products)
> 3. Don't write too many things in slide which makes user read slides
> instead of listening
> 4. Keep in mind slides are only for your guidance you will be the
> presenter of idea and not what is in slides
> We can even leave the presentation if everyone is not convenient with the
> idea.
> @Praveen you have introduced the FOSS to college in Pune using some
> videos and telling Facebook related stuffs right? Can you please give
> some tips to Chethan on how to do it.
> @Praveen this is the link to my previous presentation in the programme held
> for teachers, part 2 was taken up by me
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/49622036/Free-Software-World-and-Linux.
Sorry to drop in but the first part of slides are mine (though created
by Chethan on my guidelines) 4 slides 2 sentences 2 images I talked
about 20 mins though it bored students. Part II is Chethans slide. The
slide which I was talking is SchoolOS where it had MS product show
case :) which I didn't like.

Regards

Re: Fw: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

Praveen A
2011-04-05 @ 14:43
2011/4/5 Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in>:
> @Praveen this is the link to my previous presentation in the programme held
> for teachers, part 2 was taken up by me
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/49622036/Free-Software-World-and-Linux.

Chetan, really nice! In my session majority of the audience were
facebook users (It was an engineering college).

I don't know if lot of school students use facebook. Just ask them how
many of them use facebook or know what it is. If you see lot of hands
go up, then proceed with this plan. Ask them about founder of facbook,
what problems it has, why is it free of cost etc. In my case they
already heard about the problems of facebook. I showed them a video of
Eben Moglen blasting facebook and Mark Zuckenberg
http://gnupravi.blip.tv/file/4752494/ again it may be too over the top
for school audience. I asked them what the audience would have done
after listening to this talk? Every one where silent. Then I showed
them the video of diaspora developers explainig their idea

Then I told them these students went out of the lecture and started
working on a Free Software solution to the facebook problem. The I
said THIS IS FREE SOFTWARE.

About 90 lakh rupees were raised in a month's time to get it going.

You could take this approach if your audience is college students.

When we start with history, it may be a bit boring, though it is
essential (anyway it was my experiment to give Free Software
presentation in a different way). Also it is happening right now and
these developers are still students and they are changing the world
right now! The inspirational value is so huge, but audience may not
get the importance so easily. It is a challenge.

In your case may be put one slide about diaspora and highlight they
are about 20 years old and are taking on one of the most popular
websites in the world.

Praveen
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your
rights from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as
they follow the rules: laws and constitution.

Re: Fw: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

mbhushankamath@gmail.com
2011-04-07 @ 17:03
i hope there would be an irc meet tomorrow at 9pm..even @vasudev is
suggesting..
do reply

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/4/5 Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in>:
> > @Praveen this is the link to my previous presentation in the programme
> held
> > for teachers, part 2 was taken up by me
> > http://www.scribd.com/doc/49622036/Free-Software-World-and-Linux.
> Chetan, really nice! In my session majority of the audience were
> facebook users (It was an engineering college).
> I don't know if lot of school students use facebook. Just ask them how
> many of them use facebook or know what it is. If you see lot of hands
> go up, then proceed with this plan. Ask them about founder of facbook,
> what problems it has, why is it free of cost etc. In my case they
> already heard about the problems of facebook. I showed them a video of
> Eben Moglen blasting facebook and Mark Zuckenberg
> http://gnupravi.blip.tv/file/4752494/ again it may be too over the top
> for school audience. I asked them what the audience would have done
> after listening to this talk? Every one where silent. Then I showed
> them the video of diaspora developers explainig their idea
> Then I told them these students went out of the lecture and started
> working on a Free Software solution to the facebook problem. The I
> said THIS IS FREE SOFTWARE.
> About 90 lakh rupees were raised in a month's time to get it going.
> You could take this approach if your audience is college students.
> When we start with history, it may be a bit boring, though it is
> essential (anyway it was my experiment to give Free Software
> presentation in a different way). Also it is happening right now and
> these developers are still students and they are changing the world
> right now! The inspirational value is so huge, but audience may not
> get the importance so easily. It is a challenge.
> In your case may be put one slide about diaspora and highlight they
> are about 20 years old and are taking on one of the most popular
> websites in the world.
> Praveen
> പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
> You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your
> rights from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as
> they follow the rules: laws and constitution.

BHUSHAN KAMATH
mbhushankamath@gmail.com
       mbkrocx@yahoo.in

Re: Fw: [scg.nmamit] Linux Habba Planning

2011-04-07 @ 17:08
I'm in. You don't need to take my name this is your event too go ahead
create a seperate thread for this I mean new mail and ask who will be
attending and who are not. The agenda needs to be decided by all so I
hope every one will be present

Regards

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:33 PM, mbhushankamath@gmail.com
<mbhushankamath@gmail.com> wrote:
> i hope there would be an irc meet tomorrow at 9pm..even @vasudev is
> suggesting..
> do reply
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/4/5 Chethan S <gischethans@yahoo.in>:
>> > @Praveen this is the link to my previous presentation in the programme
>> > held
>> > for teachers, part 2 was taken up by me
>> > http://www.scribd.com/doc/49622036/Free-Software-World-and-Linux.
>> >
>> Chetan, really nice! In my session majority of the audience were
>> facebook users (It was an engineering college).
>> I don't know if lot of school students use facebook. Just ask them how
>> many of them use facebook or know what it is. If you see lot of hands
>> go up, then proceed with this plan. Ask them about founder of facbook,
>> what problems it has, why is it free of cost etc. In my case they
>> already heard about the problems of facebook. I showed them a video of
>> Eben Moglen blasting facebook and Mark Zuckenberg
>> http://gnupravi.blip.tv/file/4752494/ again it may be too over the top
>> for school audience. I asked them what the audience would have done
>> after listening to this talk? Every one where silent. Then I showed
>> them the video of diaspora developers explainig their idea
>> Then I told them these students went out of the lecture and started
>> working on a Free Software solution to the facebook problem. The I
>> said THIS IS FREE SOFTWARE.
>> About 90 lakh rupees were raised in a month's time to get it going.
>> You could take this approach if your audience is college students.
>> When we start with history, it may be a bit boring, though it is
>> essential (anyway it was my experiment to give Free Software
>> presentation in a different way). Also it is happening right now and
>> these developers are still students and they are changing the world
>> right now! The inspirational value is so huge, but audience may not
>> get the importance so easily. It is a challenge.
>> In your case may be put one slide about diaspora and highlight they
>> are about 20 years old and are taking on one of the most popular
>> websites in the world.
>> Praveen
>> --
>> പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
>> You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your
>> rights from them; you give them permission to rule, only so long as
>> they follow the rules: laws and constitution.
>        BHUSHAN KAMATH
> mbhushankamath@gmail.com
>        mbkrocx@yahoo.in

ashok kumar
2011-04-05 @ 06:54
@Vasudev, @Chethan,

yes, we should not compare windows and linux.
our emphasis should be on free and legally using s/w and os.
ashok

2011-04-05 @ 07:09
I've never compared except only in 2nd session where the student
didn't gave me any option but to attack Windows.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM, ashok kumar <ashok567@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Vasudev, @Chethan,
> yes, we should not compare windows and linux.
> our emphasis should be on free and legally using s/w and os.
Sir then please don't ask us to reboot into windows to show virtualbox
at the end ;) (as done in last session).. Lets get virtual box
installed on Linux itself :)
> ashok

ashok kumar
2011-04-05 @ 06:40
@ALL
bhuvanendra residential school 13 students+ nitte english medium school 25
students+ bhuvanendra high school 6 students=45 students

let us only go for demo -any distro convenient to the res person is
ok-ubuntu is fine -cd version is better i guess
no formal inauguration-